Lyme disease is typically associated with a bacterial infection from a tick bite. Most people do not even notice the tick bite or a rash. Nevertheless, the typical treatment for eliminating the infection is one or more treatments with antibiotics. Unfortunately, in the majority of cases that see in our office, antibiotics make the condition worse.
Chronic Lyme is NOT merely a bacterial infection. The underlying condition of chronic lyme disease is that the immune system is overwhelmed and dysfunctional.
In most cases a patient’s immune system is not suppressed or deficient. But rather, the immune system is simultaneously hyperactive and hypoactive.
For example, a patient with chronic lyme may have seasonal allergies and food sensitivities indicating an over-active immune system. At the same time there may be sinus infections, frequent colds, enlarged lymph glands and strep throat suggesting an under-active immune system. Once the symptoms progress further a hyperactive patient may be diagnosed with an autoimmune condition such as Rheumatoid arthritis, MS, Fibromyalgia, or Lupus. Likewise, the hypoactive immune system may result in cardiovascular disease or cancer.
Yet the two MOST important questions that you can ask are:
- What can I do that will change and improve my health?
- What is the cause of all this immune system dysfunction?
The answers to ALL your questions may be found in understanding this very basic principle of natural healing.
REMOVING the obstacles is the fundamental action that allows your body to naturally find balance and healing.
Obstacles are hurdles or blocks to healing your chronic lyme. All obstacles have a direct or indirect influence on the immune system because they are a source of stress. Any stress on the body may influence the immune system and become an obstacle to healing. In order to heal Chronic Lyme Disease the obstacles must be removed.
10 CATEGORIES – TOTAL LOAD
There are 10 categories of stressors or influences:
- Infections: epstein barr virus, herpes virus, bacteria such as borrelia burgdorfi, parasites such as candida and giardia. Normal gut flora that has become imbalance. This category also includes chronic low level focal infections from root canals, periodontal disease and tooth extractions.
- Man-made chemicals: This category includes things such as paint thinners, pesticides, herbicides, pharmaceutical drugs and heavy metals like lead, mercury, and cadmium..
- Lifestyle: Smoking, drinking alcohol, recreational drugs. Little or no exercise, lack of fresh air, lack of sunshine, poor diet, pregnancy
- Physical Structure: This category includes biomechanical problems like scoliosis or TMJ. Obstructions of the airway. Scar tissue from trauma or surgery.
- Physiology: Poor absorption of nutrients, an acidic diet, too much protein protein or too little fatty acids, food allergies and sensitivities, disturbed circadian rhythms.
- Natural toxins: These are toxins that are produced and released by some very common molds and fungus.
- Biological inhalants: molds and seasonal pollens
- Physical phenomena: Electromagnetic fields, microwaves, and ionizing radiation
- Hormones: This category includes imbalances of steroidal hormones such as cortisol, DHEA, Testosterone and Estrogens. Multiple stressors also suppresses Thyroid hormone, the regulator of metabolism.
- Emotional/Spiritual: There is substantial clinical evidence that this category is the most important contributor to chronic Lyme. Post traumatic stress disorder, unconscious guilt and conflicts, experiential stress. How you are with the world: angry vs forgiving, fearful vs letting go.
Obstacles to healing may be directly influencing the balance of your immune system or they may be influencing your health in some other way and indirectly stressing your health by creating a TOTAL LOAD.
It is never just one stressor but a combination. In some cases a few stressors may influence other stressors that creates what seems to be the never ending cycle. Since each person is unique, personal investigation is necessary to uncover the obstacles that are influencing the immune system and REMOVE them from the TOTAL LOAD.
- There are ten broad categories of influences or stressors and each category contain multiple obstacles to healing.
- Each category should be investigated. In our clinic we use diagnostic tools like Regulation Thermography and 24-hour heart rate variability. These tools help us understand a patient’s unique immune system dysfunction and tailor personalized and prioritized treatment plans that may be periodically assessed for effectiveness.
- Take control and be proactive. Methodically Remove the Obstacles to Healing.